Owen Shroyer, a host for Alex Jones’ Infowars, interrupted the start of Monday’s judiciary impeachment hearing—accusing the committee chair Jerry Nadler of treason—before police removed Shroyer from the room.
- Shroyer disrupted the hearing in its opening minutes and shouted, “Jerry Nadler and the Democrat party are committing treason against this country, and you can kick me out, but he’s the one committing crimes.”
- Shroyer, who also yelled, “We voted for Donald Trump, and they’re simply removing him because they don’t like him,” streamed live video of his demonstration on his personal Twitter feed.
- Capitol Police escorted Shroyer from the hearing room and questioned him outside of it—throughout this process, Shroyer kept streaming and told officers he was not violent.
- “If you want a comment, I think it’s ironic I’m the one being hauled out of here when the Democrats are the ones committing the crimes,” Shroyer told Capitol Police.
- The Southern Poverty Law Center has called Infowars founder Jones “the most prolific conspiracy theorist in contemporary America.”
- Both Jones and Infowars have been previously banned from Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, Apple and YouTube for violating hate-speech rules or posting new content.
Key background: Monday’s impeachment hearing was the second before the House judiciary committee. The inquiry began in September with closed-door testimony from witnesses before progressing to public hearings, which concluded November 21. Now the judiciary committee will debate and likely draft articles of impeachment after House speaker Nancy Pelosi instructed them to do so Friday. Trump and his lawyers have been invited to the judiciary hearings, but they declined, saying they were unfair.
Yesmovies Tangent: Although President Trump did not mention Infowars or Shroyer, he did take to Twitter during the outset of the judiciary hearing. Trump did not comment on any crimes, but he did say “The Do Nothing Democrats are a disgrace!” and declared that the investigation into his alleged quid pro quo with Ukraine was a “Witch Hunt!”